April 28, 2009

Member Spotlight: Blue Star Design

Hi there! I am excited to spotlight one of our awesome Studio Calico members today... and it is none other than the super talented and inspiring Blue Star Design - or Lisa.

Each of us designers chose a member to lift for this month's gallery and I chose Lisa. She has such a creative eye and I love the way she puts her layouts together. I found so many of her layouts inspiring that I couldn't choose just one... so I broke the rules.... and lifted two of her layouts. Normally I am not a rule-breaker... but I just couldn't resist!

Here are the two layouts of Lisa's that I lifted:



And here are my interpretations:


Thanks Lisa for having such an inspiring gallery!!

I wanted all of us to get to know Lisa, aka Blue Star Design, a little bit better so I asked her to answer a few questions:

When did you start scrapbooking? In 1998, just after I married my husband, Mike.

What do you love about SC? There's no better kit out there! The mix of fabulous products and SC-exclusive stuff is just so appealing to me. Everything is top quality and coordinates without being "matchy-matchy!" The kits always inspire me to create my best work, month after month.

Describe your scrapping space. My scrapping space is also my office (I'm a freelance graphic designer) which consists of a large wooden antique desk, glass-front bookshelves, and a couple repurposed antique cabinets. Almost all my supplies are kept in vintage tins, buckets, boxes and baskets.

Do you have other creative passions/interests? I love dreaming about interior design, but it takes my hubby & i forever to actually implement our decorating ideas. :) I also love knitting, cooking, and sometimes dabble in painting...but it intimidates me!

What's your must have product? Alphabets, of all shapes, sizes, colors and textures!

What is your least favorite thing about scrapbooking? Cleaning up the mess I make after a creative streak hits.

What technique are you interested in trying next? I'd like to play more with mists and paints.

Do you have a tried and true technique or design element? I almost always print my photos with white borders and tilt them slightly on the page. Most of the time, I like the "imperfection" that tilting lends to a page. I'm not a linear gal :)

How would you describe your style? Has it changed over the years? My style is eclectic, casual and fun, and usually pretty simple! It has definitely evolved over the years, but I think most of my pages from the past 3-4 years are true to the style I have today.

What's your process for starting a layout? I usually start with the photos....and an SC kit! Journaling almost always comes last, which is why I use journal strips so often - they are an easy way to sneak the journaling into your completed design.


To see more of Lisa's layouts click here and if you want to check out her blog click here.

Thanks again Lisa!!


7 comments:

Niella said...

Wonderful layouts! So inspiring...love your takes:-)

Niella said...

oh, btw...great idea of having Member Spotlights!

Jill said...

I LOVE Lisa's work. Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful layouts!

Erin M said...

Now I know why I loved Maggie's layouts so much--cuz I loved the originals!
Who knew?

heidi said...

I love Lisa's work! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. (She's definitely scraplift-worthy!!)

*reyanna* said...

These pages are SO awesome! All of them! :) And it's great to get to know Lisa a little better! :)